Marcus Camby unhappy with the Knicks and with trade to Toronto
Marcus Camby sounds as if he doesn't think he got a fair shot with the Knicks last season and isn’t thrilled about returning to Toronto.
The Knicks agreed in principle to a trade to send Camby, Steve Novak and picks to the Raptors for Andrea Bargnani. The trade isn’t official yet, but Camby is officially unhappy.
Camby, 39, signed a three-year, $13.1 million deal last summer to be Tyson Chandler’s backup, but it never worked out. Calf and foot injuries sidelined Camby, but he wasn’t in the rotation when he was healthy. He played just 24 games in the regular season and three games in the playoffs.
"It's unfortunate that I wasn't given a meaningful opportunity to contribute last season in New York,” Camby said in a statement. “I was really looking forward to the upcoming year as a chance to show the organization what they missed out on last year, and pushing our team towards the Finals.”
The deal is on hold because the league offices didn’t approve the trade. Players’ salaries change on July 1 so the deal will have to be tweaked, but all signs are it will go through. But Camby, who was drafted by the Raptors, doesn’t want to go to a rebuilding situation at this stage of his life and career.
“I have nothing but positive things to say about the city of Toronto and its great fans, having been drafted by the Raptors 17 years ago,” Camby said. “Given that my goal at this point in my career is to have a shot at a championship, however, I'll have to evaluate my options going forward. I've enjoyed a great career and under the right circumstances I hope to continue making an impact in the league."