Meat and barbecue lovers look forward to the Big Apple Barbecue each year like Catholics look forward to Easter. It's a time of holy celebration, honoring that which they love most!
Ok so maybe that analogy is a bit strained, but we think the fervor barbecue aficionados bring to their eating habits is pretty intense. Not sure if you believe us? Head to Madison Square Park June 13-14 and see for yourself.
Now in its 13th year, the Big Apple Barbecue Block Party as its officially known, celebrates the "craftsmanship of authentic pit barbecue and its Southern culinary traditions." It benefits the Madison Square Park Conservancy.
Pitmasters and menu items:
- Jean-Paul Bourgeois: Blue Smoke (New York, NY) - Pork Spare Ribs with Pickled Peppers
- Billy Durney: Hometown Bar-B-Que (Red Hook, NY) - Jamaican Jerk St. Louis Ribs with Caribbean Slaw
- Mike Emerson: Pappy's Smokehouse (St. Louis, MO) - Baby Back Ribs with Baked Beans
- Charles Grund, Jr.: Hill Country Barbecue Market (New York, NY) - Beef Brisket Sandwich with Sweet & Spicy Pickles
- Jimmy Hagood: BlackJack Barbecue (Charleston, SC) - Pulled Pork Sandwich with Coleslaw
- Samuel Jones: Skylight Inn (Ayden, NC) - Chopped Whole Hog Sandwich with Coleslaw
- Chris Lilly: Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q (Decatur, AL) - Pulled Pork Sandwich with Spicy Mustard Coleslaw
- Tim Love: The Woodshed Smokehouse (Dallas/Fort Worth, TX) - Lamb Brisket with Borracho Beans
- Patrick Martin: Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint (Nashville, TN) - Western Tennessee-Style Whole Hog Sandwich with Coleslaw
- Mike Mills: 17th Street Bar & Grill (Murphysboro, IL) - Baby Back Ribs with Baked Beans
- Wayne Mueller: Louie Mueller Barbecue (Taylor, TX) - Texas Beef Rib with Pickled Southern Vegetables
- Brad Orrison: The Shed Barbeque & Blues Joint (Ocean Springs, MS) - Chopped Whole Hog Sandwich with Baked Beans
- Garry Roark: Ubonas Barbeque of Yazoo (Yazoo City, MS) - Pulled Pork Shoulder Sandwich with Coleslaw
- Scott Roberts: The Salt Lick Bar-B-Que (Driftwood, TX) - Beef Brisket, Sausage & Coleslaw
- Drew Robinson: Jim Na Nickas Bar-B-Q (Birmingham, AL) - Smoked Pork Hot Links with Pimento Cheese
- John Stage: Dinosaur Bar-B-Que (New York, NY) - Beef Brisket with BBQ Beans
- John Wheeler: Memphis Barbecue Co. (Horn Lake, MS) - Baby Back Ribs with Baked Beans
- Matt Robicelli: Robicellias Bakery (Brooklyn, NY) - Pecan Potato Chip Blondies, Kentucky Bourbon Dark Chocolate Brownies, Chocolate Chunk Cookies & Sweet Corn Blueberry Cookies
- Mary Jennifer Russell: Sugareeas Bakery (New Albany, MS) - Southern-Style Three-Layer Cakes, including Caramel, Strawberry and Red Velvet
- Scott Levine: Underwest Donuts (New York, NY) - Brown Butter Donut Hole Stack with Brown Butter Glaze and Toasted Almonds
Free; all food and drinks available a la carte. Or get a VIP pass for $275 per person. You'll get to meet the pitmasters, sit in the share, have specialty drinks adn bites and more.