Makes 2-4 servings
2 large beets of different varieties (e.g. red, golden, chioggia)
2 tbsp. sherry vinegar
2 tbsp. water
1. Cut stems off beets. Wash beets and toss with olive oil and salt.
2. Place in separate pans and add sherry vinegar and water. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until beets are tender. Let cool to room temperature.
3. Carefully peel then chop beets and toss with any liquid from left in baking pan. Store beets separately in plastic containers.
3 oz. sherry vinegar
1 large shallot, minced
2 oz. whole grain mustard
1 oz. lemon juice
1 cup canola oil
1 tbsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper
1. Combine vinegar, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper in mixing bowl.
2. Whisk together then add lemon juice. Continue whisking while slowly adding canola oil until emulsified. Adjust seasoning with salt.
3. Store in airtight container for up to a week. Dressing will separate after a few hours but just needs to be shaken to re-emulsify.
Baby mesclun greens
1. Lightly drizzle vinaigrette on center of plate. Spread layer of greens over dressing.
2. Toss beets in mixing bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper and place on top of baby greens.
3. Break goat cheese into 1/2-inch pieces and sprinkle over top of beets.
4. Add light layer of baby greens.
5. Finish with a little sea salt and olive oil.