A recent car bomb plan published by a Jihadist magazine for potential use in New York City is flawed and could blow up in the face of an aspiring terrorist, a top NYPD intelligence official said Wednesday.
The bomb plan appeared last month in "Inspire" magazine, an al-Qaida allied publication, as a way of showing a fix for the failed bomb used by Faisal Shahzad when he attempted to explode a home made car bomb in Times Square in May 2010, said John Miller, deputy commissioner for intelligence.
But a quick NYPD and FBI analysis of the plans showed that it was a recipe for disaster, Miller said Wednesday with Police Commissioner William Bratton by his side.
"It does not fix the problem and if done even slightly incorrectly it could cause an explosion with the bomb maker which is one kind of unintended result," Miller told reporters.
"It is certainly not a set of instructions we would endorse in that it is instructions to make a bomb," Miller added.
Last month Inspire, published by the group Al Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, exhorted potential terrorists to hit the U.S., particularly New York City, with car bombs and mentioned building devices similar to what Shahzad tried to use in 2010. Court records show Shahzad rigged up a device with cans of gasoline, fertilizer, propane gas and fireworks in the hopes of exploding it in an Isuzu vehicle by West 45th Street and Seventh Avenue. The device smoldered but didn't explode. Shahzad was captured, convicted of terrorism charges and sentenced to prison.
"This bomb is not designed to topple buildings, this bomb's purpose is to be in a large container, a large vehicle and kill the people around it in a crowded environment," Miller said of the bomb plans in Inspire magazine.
In a related development, Bratton said that he and other officials Wednesdayhad a "good discussion" with Department of Homeland Security secretary Jeh C. Johnson about restoring some of the Securing the Cities funding that the federal government wants to cut.
Under plans revealed last week, the Obama Administration wants to cut to New York's Securing the Cities funds to $4.8 million next year from the current $11 million. The funds are used for nuclear detection devices given to the NYPD and other local law enforcement agencies in the wider metropolitan area.