Embattled attorney Sanford Rubenstein has withdrawn from handling any of the litigation in the Eric Garner case, his law partner said.
Scott Rynecki, who has been Rubenstein’s partner in the high-profile practice since 1996, told Newsday Wednesday night that Rubenstein decided to have nothing to do with the Garner file in light of recent rape allegations against him.
Rynecki, who only Monday filed a $75 million notice of claim against the city in preparation for a wrongful-death suit over Garner’s death during an NYPD arrest last summer, said his law firm is still handling the case. But Rynecki said that the Rev. Al Sharpton and the Garner family will announce Saturday which legal team will handle the case going forward. Rynecki said he hoped that he and his firm would still be involved.
Rubenstein, 60, has been enveloped in allegations that he raped a woman at his apartment after Sharpton’s 60th birthday bash last week. Rubenstein has denied the allegation through his attorney Benjamin Brafman and has not been charged with any crime.