Stony Brook University's Reality Deck
Stony Brook University's newest computer science feat is called The Reality Deck, a $2 million virtual reality theater that is akin to the fictional Holodeck from "Star Trek," where Starship Enterprise officers could find themselves in another place and time.
Stony Brook University scientists believe their technology will be far-reaching and help better detect cancers, build antibiotics, predict climate changes and map the universe.
The 627-square-foot room's four walls are tiled floor-to-ceiling with 416 high-resolution flat-screen monitors, allowing scientists, engineers and physicians to visualize huge amounts of data unlike anything they've been able to do before, its Stony Brook creators said.
More in Photos
- Cops: 2 dead in shooting near Hofstra
- 2013 college graduations on LI
- Hangin' in the Hamptons
- Long Island school event photos
- Hometown heroes
- Notable sports deaths in 2013
- Maxim Hot 100
- Best and worst Part 3 movies
- LI notable deaths
- 'American Idol' finale
- 100 things for kids to do on LI
- 'American Idol' Season 12 Finals
- Hugh Hefner
- Celebrities and dogs -- and celebrity dogs
- President Barack Obama
- Cops: 2 dead in shooting near Hofstra 2013 college graduations on LI
- U.S. Army generals from LI Briarcliffe College Class of 2013 graduates
- Long Island school event photos 33 famous LIers' favorite hometown places
- Dowling College class of 2013 graduates Field of Wheels 2013
- Hometown heroes Annie Park
- LI notable deaths 100 things for kids to do on LI
- President Barack Obama Contemporary Furniture Fair highlights
- 99 places we loved on Long Island New York City parties
- See what 19 LIers won on 'Wheel of Fortune' so far Free movies in NYC!
- Recent LI mug shots Recent LI fires
- LI people on the move! Promotions, new jobs Andrew Cuomo through the years
- The Bench 5K Hot Dog Chow Down