Defense shines in afternoon practice
The first of the two-a-days just ended, and just by eye-balling the workout it was clear that the defense had the upper hand. You can click below to read the chart of the 11-on-11 plays.
A few notes before we get there. Aaron Ross joined Corey Webster on the sidelines, meaning neither of the two starting CBs were able to practice this afternoon. Terrell Thomas and Kevin Dockery took their places with the first group.
Chase Blackburn stood off to the side. David Tyree and Taye Biddle were also out of the action. And you already know that Barry Cofield and Fred Robbins won't be doing anything during this minicamp.
How'd Sinorice Moss look this afternoon following his blockbuster morning session? Pretty good. He made a nice catch on a crossing pattern with Dockery trailing in coverage and caught a short screen pass to the left. In a 2:00 drill that ended the practice he made a nice diving catch on a "third down" pass from David Carr, good enough for a first down to keep the drive going. A few tense moments when he looked shaken up on the play, but a few minutes later he was jogging across the field and didn't show much damage. Anyone -- like me -- who had already written a main for tomorrow's paper on Moss was holding their breath!
(UPDATE: Just told it was a strained hamstring for Moss. Not certain if he'll be limited the rest of the minicamp.)
Add a new punt returner to the mix as Shaun Bodiford was working with the group. The team was focusing on punt coverage, however, so it's impossible to tell if he's really a candidate for the job (or any job at this point really). Jeff Feagles handled the punting this afternoon rather than the machine. The team also worked on kickoff returns. The returners in order (with the upback in parenthesis) were: Bradshaw (Ware), Dockery (A.Brown), Moss (Manningham), Bradshaw (Ware).
Lawrence Tynes was 3-for-4 on field goals. He connected from 20, 30 and 33 yards but missed one wide left from 28. It was a low snap, but it looked like Feagles got the ball down in time. No access to players after practice so we'll try to remember to ask about it tomorrow.
In 7-on-7s, Nicks made a sweet grab, turning his body just right and using those great hands to snag a deep pass from Andre Woodson. The pass was deep down the right sideline with Dockery in coverage. When he came back to the line of scrimmage, O.C. Kevin Gilbride pointed at Nicks and said "Good job!"
Earlier in the set, Dockery did a nice job of breaking up a pass for Moss on the right sideline. That was a 5-8 corner battling through a 5-8 receiver. Not a lot of height in that fight.
Bryan Kehl went for an INT rather than break up on a pass from Woodson to Barden and it cost him as Barden made the catch. Derek Hagan made a nice grab reaching behind him for a throw from Rhett Bomar. And Ramses Barden showed some nice hands catching a quick slant from Bomar.
OK, here are your 11-on-11s. Maybe a few more notes as I think of them throughout the night. Otherwise, see you tomorrow. First practice is at 9:20. It'll be the last workout at the unnamed complex. Tomorrow afternoon they unveil the corporate sponsor of the training complex. Can't wait!11-on-11s
(QB in parenthesis)
1. Jacobs run right (Manning) 2TE set, Tuck tackle
2. Bradhsaw run right (Manning) nice seal block by Hedgecock
3. PA pass to Boss (Manning) Tuck and Alford would have had a sack
4. PA pass to Smith (Manning) Tuck and Canty chased Manning with pressure
5. Inc. pass (Carr) under pressure from Kiwanuka, thrown away
6. Ware run left (Carr), bounced out for extra yardage
7. Pass to Hagan (Carr) roll left, pressure from Tollefson
8. Inc. pass for D.Johnson (Carr) tried to make a diving catch but lead too much; Wilkinson in good coverage
9. Patrick run right (Woodson) Kelvin Smith tackle
10. Inc. pass for Barden (Woodson) dropped bwhile trying to stay inbounds, but ball was too far outside
11. Brown run left (Bomar) nice cutback to middle, Ingram tackle
12. QB scramble (Bomar) Maurice Evans pressure, missed pickup by Wright
1. Pass to Hixon (Manning) quick slant
2. Jacobs run right (Manning) Umenyiora stop
3. Bradshaw run right (Manning) Tuck stop
4. Pass to Manningham (Manning) long down left sideline, Stoney Woodson had good coverage but didn't get hands up
5. Hixon end-around (Manning) Tollefson and Wilkinson sniff it out
6. Pass to Moss (Carr) cross with Dockery in coverage
7. Inc. pass for D.Johnson (Carr) Tollefson pressure
8. Pass to Barden (Carr) quick screen, Stoney Woodson stop
9. Patrick run middle (Carr)
10. Pass to D.Johnson (Carr) hit from behind by Phillips
11. Botched snap (Woodson) Koets at center
12. Pass to Moss (woodson) screen left
13. Patrick run right (Woodson) showed good outside speed
14. Inc. pass for Barden (Woodson) low throw but catchable
15. Inc pass for Manningham (Bomar) dropped
16. Inc. pass for Manningham (Bomar) overthrown
17. Patrick run middle (Bomar)
18. Pass to Rucker (Bomar) screen
2 MINUTE DRILL
1. QB scramble (Carr)
2. Inc. pass for D.Johnson (Carr) almost a nice 1-handed catch, Wilkinson in coverage
3. Pass to Moss (Carr) scrambling left and throw on run, the play Moss was dinged on, first down
4. Pass to Hagan (Carr) first down
5. Inc. pass for Ware (Carr)
6. Pass to Hagan (Carr) open down the middle