15-year-old charged with attempted assault of Queens women
A 15-year-old boy was charged Monday with attempted rape and sexual assault in two attacks against women in southeastern Queens, which has seen a string of similar attacks since last month.
The Springfield Gardens youth, was awaiting arraignment last night on charges of second-degree assault as a sexually motivated felony, attempted rape and first-degree sexual abuse in the Laurelton cases, Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said Monday.
The youth was accused of grabbing a 24-year-old woman walking near Conduit Avenue in a headlock, punching her in the face until she lost consciousness, and then sexually assaulting her on Oct. 16.
He was also charged in the attack of a 40-year-old woman Oct. 9, who thwarted an attempted rape by screaming for help after the attacker shoved her to the ground and repeatedly punched her in the face.
Because he is a juvenile, he faces two and two-thirds to eight years in prison if convicted, Brown said.
Three similar attacks in the area remain under investigation.
The first attack happened on Sept. 22, when a man ambushed a woman entering her Queens Village home and sexually assaulted her. On Oct. 7, a woman in the same area was grabbed from behind and sexually assaulted. And on Oct. 12, a 23-year-old woman was sexually assaulted walking near South Conduit Avenue and 226th Street.