Add panache to any NYC space: DwellStudio
We at amNewYork are huge fans of decor brand DwellStudio's modern home furnishings.
Until now, pieces - many of which feature the brand's gorgeous signature fabrics - have only been available on DwellStudio's website and at local stores like ABC Carpet & Home. But earlier this month, to the delight of DwellStudio enthusiasts, the brand opened up a 3,000-square-foot flagship in SoHo, selling bedding, furniture, rugs, artwork, tabletop items and baby and kids' collections, as well as a revolving collection of vintage items from around the world.
We caught up with DwellStudio's founder and creative director, Christiane Lemieux, who gave amNY readers ideas on how to brighten up any NYC space - no matter how small it is.
1. "Go bold with wallpaper or paint on the ceiling. It makes the room feel much bigger because it brings the eye up."
2. "Think of lighting as artwork - you want it to be visually interesting."
3. "Be creative with storage solutions. A lot of New York apartments have high ceilings - don't be afraid of going vertical with storage. High bookcases add a layer of old-world luxury, and you can add a lot of interesting decorative pieces to give a bookcase a well-curated look."
4. "A sofa is an important first step towards anchoring the room - you can really design a whole room around a good-quality sofa."
5. "Use a rug that fits and fills the space of the room. Make sure there's enough room on the rug to place furniture, and leave enough of the floor exposed - seeing the floor will make the room feel bigger."
6. "Utilize the entryway. If it's too narrow for a bench set-up with storage, then install hooks and shelving. Keep all those little pieces that you use every day - keys, wallet, mail, outerwear, umbrellas - in one space. That will help cut down on clutter."
7. "Go for functionality. Seating with built-in storage or a shelving unit that can double as a room divider are great ways to save space and keep your apartment looking well-designed."
77 Wooster St., 646-442-6000