After $29 million service boost, pols, union ask MTA for more
Less than a week after the MTA announced about $29.5 million in extra service, it's already being asking for more.
Local pols and union members held a rally outside City Hall Tuesday afternoon, where several leaders thanked the agency for the new service, but pushed the agency to restore all of the cuts made in 2010, which amounted to more than $90 million in annual expenses.
Transport Workers Union President John Samuelsen called for the MTA to bring back "every ounce of service" and to reopen station agent booths that were closed and torn down.
"Station agents that have been eliminated by the New York City Transit Authority must come back," Samuelsen said. "The stations are safer with our station agents in place."
MTA Chairman Joseph Lhota said last week that he would like to add more service in the future, but didn't know if it was possible because of the agency's "fragile" budget, which is expected to be unveiled at today's board meeting.
An MTA spokesman called last week's announcement "the largest increase in service that anyone can remember."
"We would live to be able to give everything that they want, but we have to work within budget constraints," he said.