Amusement gurus to help shape new Coney Island
The city has enlisted the help of amusement industry experts to shape its plans for an interim amusement park at Coney Island in 2010 and a permanent one later.
The Coney Island Amusement Advisory Panel, announced Tuesday by the city, includes executives from Premier Rides, Palace Entertainment, Ripley Entertainment, Atlantic City Steel Pier and Six Flags.
Also serving is Vin Cipolla, president of the Municipal Arts Society. Cipollas place on the panel is significant because the MAS had been a vocal critic of the citys rezoning proposal for the waterfront area.We applaud the city for bringing together a broad range of voices to help shape the future of this iconic neighborhood, Cipolla said. Only the city can create a great and sustainable amusements destination in Coney Island."
City officials are seeking to rezone 19 blocks of Coney Island and establish a 27-acre indoor and outdoor entertainment and amusement area. The Bloomberg administration also plans to find a single operator for a 12-acre amusement park on city-controlled land. An interim park, which could open as soon as 2010, would operate for five to seven years until a permanent park could be a built.
Over the past months, the city has been working to develop an interim plan to ensure continuing summer fun and thrills at Coney Island, said Robert C. Lieber, deputy mayor for economic development. This panel formalizes our relationship with the leading industry experts and operators who will not only help us develop an exciting and dynamic interim amusement area for the summer of 2010 and summers to come, but also a financially feasible amusement plan for a year-round entertainment and amusement district, which will capture and continue the magic and iconic legacy of Coney Island."