Derek Jeter expected to start on the disabled list
Derek Jeter will likely begin the season on the disabled list, despite his intent to be ready for the April 1 opener, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Sunday.
Cashman told reporters that “reality is beginning to set in,” because Jeter could not play in a minor league game yesteday after taking four at-bats as a DH the day before.
“I don’t anticipate him starting the season on the [roster],” Cashman said. “I can read his face, and his face today tells me the reality is starting to sink in that this disabled list situation might be necessary.”
The new goal for return looks to be on April 6 at Detroit.
“It’s a goal, [but] it doesn’t mean an absolute,” Cashman said.
Jeter, 38, would join Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira and Curtis Granderson as the fourth everyday player to be sidelined. Those players, plus Phil Hughes and Clay Rapada, who both will likely begin the year on the DL as well, accounting for $88.2 million of the team’s $211 million payroll, according to itsaboutthemoney.net.
Jeter broke his ankle while playing against the Tigers during last year’s ALCS. He had surgery a week later and has maintained his goal was to return by April 1.
“Well, we were wrong,” Cashman said. “The time frame I represented was based on what my medical staff tells me.”