First lady to make national service fashionable
Slipping seamlessly and sleevelessly into the spotlight, first lady Michelle Obama has enjoyed high approval ratings for her gracious manner and fashionable presence.
One has a little bit of concern that shes being seen as a decoration, because theres so much attention paid to what shes wearing, said Liza Mundy, author of Michelle: A Biography.
Moving forward, however, the 45-year-old Obama is expected to lend her celebrity to a handful of domestic, family-oriented causes, Mundy said.
Among those issues the Harvard-educated mother of two has favored are:
* Benefits for working parents, such as extended maternity leave
* Support for military families
* Volunteerism and national service
* Behavior modification and better eating habits
* Bridging the gap between the White House and the D.C. communityShes very aware of people who didnt do as well as she did in life and feels an obligation to the community, Mundy said. In general, shes made quite a graceful entrance.