Garodnick gives New Yorkers tips to avoid id theft online
Councilman Dan Garodnick said in a news conference Tuesday that identity theft is on the rise in NYC, but that you can take simple steps to avoid scammers.
The Manhattan district attorney's office handles 200 to 300 I.D. theft cases a month and the load is increasing. Garodnick gave several pointers.
1. Be wary of emails from strangers.
2. Shop with trusted merchants.
3. Don't use public computers or unsecured wireless for transactions.
4. Use secure website browsers ("https://").
5. Pay by credit card instead of debit.
7. Keep a paper trail.
8. Wipe your computer's hard drive before recycling it.