Latest injury stings weary Mets fans
An already unbearable season for Mets has sunk to a new low.
After an epidemic of injuries that has sidelined all their offensive stars, off-the-field distractions and shoddy play by their back-ups, the team announced Tuesday what is likely the final nail in the coffin: Ace pitcher Johan Santana will have elbow surgery and miss the rest of the season.
“I’ve been watching baseball for 20 years and I've never seen anything like this,” said Anthony DeRosa, founder of the fan Web site Hotfootblog.
Santana, 30, whose $137.5 million, six-year contract is one of the richest in the game, had been among the few bright spots left on a team that is 16 games out of first place and whose roster has been shredded by injuries.
The news about Santana, who has been pitching with discomfort since early July, had some fans looking to place blame.
“Is there a problem with the trainers on the team that they don't have these guys in game shape?” said Joe Pietaro, editor in chief of New York Sportsscene magazine.
General manager Omar Minaya told reporters yesterday that Santana’s elbow problems did not seem serious until now.
“Up until his last start, it was something that he was able to pitch with,” Minaya said during a news conference.
Matt Pignataro, founder of the blog SevenTrainToShea, said it’s better to lose Santana now and get him back healthy next spring.
“This season is basically lost,” he said. “I don't know what it is - maybe there’s a jinx on Citi Field.”