Leiby Kletzky's father sues Levi Aron for $100 million
The father of 8-year-old Leiby Kletzky, whose grisly murder shattered the Brooklyn Orthodox Jewish community from which he was abducted last month, is seeking $100 million from the man accused in the crime.
Nachman Kletzky filed the complaint last week in Brooklyn Supreme Court seeking to hold Levi Aron, 35, responsible for his son's death.
Calling it "one of the most horrific crimes in the history" of Brooklyn, the lawsuit says that Kletzky was "without justification or excuse, abducted, held hostage against his will" in Aron's Kensington apartment, "where [he] was terrorized, physically and psychologically assaulted and injured, and was murdered and his body dismembered."
Nachman Kletzky filed suit on behalf of Leiby for the pain and suffering the boy experienced before his death, as well as for the emotional and future economic losses to the family due to his untimely death.
Jennifer McCann, who represents Aron in his criminal case, said she did not know whether the hardware store clerk had an attorney for the civil matter.
Leiby Kletzky was walking home alone from day camp in the tight-knit Borough Park neighborhood on July 11 when he got lost and approached Aron for help, officials said.
Aron, who is awaiting trial at Riker’s Island, told police that he “panicked” and suffocated the boy with a towel after learning about the massive search for Leiby.
Aron was arrested on July 13 after the hunt led police to his apartment where Leiby’s feet were found in his freezer, police said.
Attorneys for the Kletzky family did not immediately return a request for comment.