More people landing in hospitals after tipping back energy drinks
Energy drinks are an increasing public health problem and responsible for a skyrocketing number of emergency room visits, according to a new report issued by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration.
The number of ER visits prompted by the consumption of those beverages -- which can contain five times the amount of caffeine found in a cup of coffee, plus other ingredients for their stimulant effects -- jumped from 1,494 to 20,783 in 2011, SAMHA said.
Men -- most frequently those between the ages of 18 and 25, followed by those between the ages of 26 and 39 -- were almost three times more likely than women to wind up in the ER from unanticipated reactions to the drinks.
About 58% of the 2011 admissions resulted from simply consuming the highly advertised beverages. The other 42% resulted from interactions between the supposed energy-boosters and drugs or alcohol.