NYC's budget by the numbers
The City Council this week will begin reviewing Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s $65.7 billion executive budget, which he unveiled Friday.
The mayor's latest budget restores much of the day-care cuts but otherwise remains much the same as his earlier proposals.
The council must approve a final budget before July 1, the start of the fiscal year.
Here are some highlights from Bloomberg's proposed budget:
- 5,400: Total city workers to be laid off, of which 4,666 would be teachers
- 6,166: Total school teachers the city would lose through layoffs and attrition
- 20: Fire companies to be closed
- 12: City libraries that could shutter
- $4.8 billion: Estimated budget gap for fiscal year 2013