Plan for remains of 9/11 victims criticized by families
9/11 family groups yesterday lambasted as disrespectful a plan to entomb more than 9,000 pieces of human remains deep below the World Trade Center memorial plaza.
Sally Regenhard, whose firefighter son Christian was killed in the terrorist attack, said family members were led to believe “we would have a separate aboveground tomb-like structure – a hallowed ground fully accessible to the public, with an adjacent private area for families to reflect.” The tomb will go seven stories underground at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.
Christy Ferer, Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s liaison to the 9/11 families, defended the existing plan, in which remains would be placed behind a wall featuring a quote from Virgil. Relatives would have a private space to grieve.
Ferer said extensive outreach had been done to come up with an acceptable place for the unidentified or unclaimed remains. Forty one percent of the 2,752 victims have yet to be identified.