Sources: DJ AM died of a drug overdose
The drugs that DJ AM managed to escape for a decade ended up killing him, according to one published report.
Police sources told TMZ that Adam Goldstein did not commit suicide, but accidentally overdosed on a deadly mix of crack cocaine and prescription medication.
The celebrity DJ began taking anti-anxiety medication to cope with flying after surviving a plane crash that killed four people last year, but the pills caused him to crave crack after more than 11 years of sobriety, sources told TMZ.
Goldstein, 36, was found dead in his SoHo apartment Friday. Source told People magazine that a friend called 911 when he failed to answer his cell phone and show up for a flight to a Las Vegas gig.
A NYPD spokeswoman said there were no updates in the case and they were awaiting the results of a city medical investigation. A spokesperson for the city medical examiner’s office did not return a call for comment. An initial autopsy of Goldstein's body was inconclusive and more tests are being performed.
Goldstein's body was released to the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Chapel on Saturday. A representative for the Upper East Side facility refused to comment on the funeral arrangements yesterday. But reports over the weekend said he would be buried in California.