'Spider-Man' back with new safety rules
“Spider-Man” finally returned to the stage Thursday night, with officials reassured the production had taken the right safety steps following Monday’s terrifying accident.
Assemb. Rory Lancman (D-Fresh Meadows), chairman of a workplace safety subcommittee, met with the show’s producers and director Thursday and voiced his own safety demands on top of those ordered by the Department of Labor after its investigation.
“Those of us watching the show, we go and it’s fun and it’s entertaining, but for the performers and workers, it’s a workplace,” Lancman said. “They’re entitled to a safe workplace like anyone else.”
Both Lancman and the labor department said the show implemented all safety procedures before its return.
The new regulations include outside inspectors of equipment, double checking all tethers and harnesses — thought to be the cause of Monday night’s accident — and better communication between stagehands.
“Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” had been on hold since Monday after stuntman Christopher Tierney, 32, fell about 30 feet during a botched aerial maneuver, leaving him in serious condition.
Tierney is the fourth actor injured in the $65 million show, which is in previews and is expected to debut Feb. 7.