Neil Best leaves no stone unturned in the world of sports media.
Woody apologizes to Ines Sainz
I spoke to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and Jets owner Woody Johnson this morning - along with my counterparts from USA Today and Sports Business Journal - about the ongoing investigation of the Jets' treatment of television reporter Ines Sainz before and during practice Saturday.
They were appearing at a Monday Night Football "Chalk Talk" event in Manhattan to promote tonight's big game at the Meadowlands.
Here is what they said:
Johnson on the status of the investigation:
"We are taking it very seriously. We want to make sure all of our reporters are comfortable, in whatever environment they are in, whether it’s on the field, in the locker room, wherever. So we’re in the process with the NFL of investigating exactly what happened, when it happened and all that."
Johnson on what has been learned so far:
"I’m going to wait until it’s done. It’s probably going to take us a couple of days to interview everybody and see what occurred when and what we should do about it. I called Ines and gave her my apology if anything happened. I’m not going to reveal what she said to me. I think we’ll talk about that later."
Johnson on possible sanctions against players involved:
"We’re taking this very seriously. Until we get all of the facts and check all the facts I can’t really say what we’re going to do, but I think it’s safe to say we’re serious about this."
Johnson on whether it will be a distraction to the team:
"No, I don’t think it’s a distraction at all."
Goodell on the status of the investigation:
"We’re still gathering the facts, but everybody is taking this issue very seriously and we have been in contact with Ms. Sainz and we continue to get all the information and when we do we’ll be prepared to take whatever steps are necessary at that point."
Goodell on discussing possible sanctions:
"We’re not going to until we understand what the issues are and what actually happened, and we’ll deal with it at that point."