Not having to pay for what you're eating and drinking makes everything taste better.
To fill your belly and quench your thirst without hurting your wallet, consult our continually updated list of complimentary bites and sips up for grabs around the city.
Here's what to dig into next.
Freshly cracked parmigiano for free
Cheesemongers say the best part of any parmigiano reggiano wheel is the dead center. New Yorkers who want to test that assertion need to get over to Murray's Cheese at 254 Bleeker St. at 5 p.m. Sept. 21, when an 80-pound wheel will be cracked. Murray's says the center has a very different taste than cheese cut closer to the rind, and it will offer a free taste as well as giving out samples of cacio e pepe and mini cannoli cones.
Free doughnuts, hot dogs and more
For one hour only (2 to 3 p.m.) on Sept. 25 and 27, eight restaurants inside Grand Central Terminal's lower level Dining Concourse will be offering free samples. Skip lunch at the office and get a taste of the following:
- Buttermilk fried chicken sandwich from Art Bird & Whiskey Bar
- Papdi chaat from Cafe Spice
- Brisket on a hero with brie, caramelized onions and apples on Sept. 25; pork belly on a roll with sliced apple and caramelized onions on Sept. 27 — both from Central Market.
- Grand Central mini cake doughnuts from Doughnut Plant
- Specialty hot dogs from Frankie's Dogs on the Go
- Fries and frozen custard from Shake Shack
- Sushi rolls from Shiro of Japan
- Kung Pao chicken from Wok Chi
Free cups on National Coffee Day
Middle Eastern fast-casual restaurant DEZ will celebrate National Coffee Day with free drip coffee for the first 100 customers on Sept. 29. The Nolita spot, at 227 Mulberry St., partners with farm-to-table coffee roaster Devoción to source their beans.
Hole in the Wall will mark the java celebration with a free large cup of coffee from 8 to 10 a.m. Sept. 29 at its FiDi location at 15 Cliff St. as well as its midtown spot at 420 Fifth Ave. The catch? You have to purchase at least something first.
Boozy candy corn vodka scoops
Be the first of 50 customers in costume to stop by Kips Bay's Tipsy Scoop ice cream parlor (217 E. 26th St.) on Halloween, between noon and 10 p.m., to get free candy corn vodka scoops. While you're there, you may also want to check out its Boo-zy Mad Scientist Sundae. Trust us.