Before IMAX and stadium seating, there were smaller, quirkier theaters.
And in New York City, there were many places to catch a flick. Here are some:
Cinema I and Cinema II
City Cinemas operates what are now three screens at 1001 Third Ave. It opened in 1962 as a twin called Cinemas I and II, seen on April 27, 1971.
The Beekman Theatre
The Beekman Theatre, at 1254 Second Ave., opened in 1952 and closed in 2005. Seen here on Feb. 3, 1991, you may recognize it from Woody Allen's "Annie Hall." The Beekman name is now used at a City Cinemas venue across the street, at 1271 Second Ave.
The Cineplex Odeon
The Cineplex Odeon, at 62nd Street and Broadway, is seen on March 24, 1990. It opened in 1989 and closed in 2009.
The Bleecker St. Cinema
Instead of posting the name of a new film, the marquee at the Bleecker St. Cinema on Sept. 24, 1990, displayed a message of farewell. The cinema served as a home for independent cinema from when it opened in 1960 until it closed in 1991, excluding a few months in 1991 when adult films screened there.
The Thalia opened in 1931 at Broadway and 95th Street. It closed in 1987, but was absorbed into what today is Symphony Space, which screens films and houses a cocktail bar called Thalia. It's seen here on July 13, 1993.
The Gramercy Theatre
The Gramercy, at 127 E. 23rd St., opened in 1937 and showed films until 1992. Revivals of classic films were shown there briefly (as in this picture on July 13, 1993), but the theater was mostly closed until 1995 when it screened only films from India. After that, it was a home to the Roundabout Theater company for many years and is now a music venue.
The Metro Theatre
The Metro Theatre, at 2626 Broadway, closed in 2005. The theater was home to many cinemas over the years and there were hopes it would continue to be one. Instead, it was announced in 2015 that the space would house a Planet Fitness. The marquee is seen here on Sept. 24, 1990.
The Biograph Theater, at 225 W. 57th St., opened in 1987. Seen here on Sept. 24, 1990, it closed in 1991. The theater was a "revival house," which screened classic films. But these types of theaters started experiencing difficulties in the '90s, according to The New York Times, because of the rise in video stores and cable channels like AMC and TNT.
The Thalia marquee, seen in 1986.
The Loew's Theater, at 86th Street in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, is seen on March 29, 1994. The theater opened in 1937 and was called the Loew's Oriental Theatre because of its "lavish Oriental-style decor," according to Cinema Treasures. Today, it's a Marshall's.
Embassy 1 Theater
The Embassy 1 Theater, at Broadway and 46th Street, opened in 1925 and closed in 1997. Seen here in an undated photo from the '70s, it was a newsreel cinema first. It reopened in 1998 as the Times Square Visitors Center, but closed in 2014.
Film Forum (209 W. Houston St.), seen here on Sept. 24, 1990, opened in 1970 and is still in operation today. The theater had two other homes before moving to Houston Street in 1989.
The Paris Theater
The Paris Theater, 4 W. 58th St., seen on Aug. 20, 1990. The Paris opened in 1948 and today is Manhattan's only single-screen theater.
Angelika Film Center
The Angelika Film Center (18 W. Houston St.), seen on Sept. 24, 1990, opened in 1989 and screens independent and foreign films.
The Gramercy Theatre
The Gramercy Theatre on June 24, 1994.
The Harris Theatre
The Harris Theatre, at 226 W. 42 St., seen here on May 17, 1982. According to Cinema Treasures, it opened in 1914 and closed in 1994.
Loew's 84th Street Theater
The Loew's 84th Street Theater, seen here on Oct. 12, 1987, is the same theater that today is known for its comfortable, red leather reclining seats.
Avon 42 was one of the XXX movie theaters housed in a Times Square storefront on 42nd Street. It's seen here on Nov. 21, 1975.