Legionnaires' disease death toll rises to 8 in NYC By Matthew Chayes August 5, 2015 8:19 PM Print Share fbShare Tweet Email An eighth person has died in New York City's largest known Legionnaires' disease outbreak, Mayor Bill de Blasio's office said Wednesday night. At least 97 people have been sickened with the bacterial pneumonia since the first suspected case on July 10. The cases are concentrated in the South Bronx. On Tuesday, the fatality count had been seven, and 86 cases. All eight fatalities were of older adults with pre-existing health conditions, such as lung infections or compromised immune systems, the mayor's office said. By Matthew Chayes Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Comments We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.