On Oct. 6, Northwell Health broke ground on the Northwell Medical Pavilion, a state-of-the-art outpatient care facility that will be anchored by innovative cancer care programs led by the Northwell Health Cancer Institute, and also include neuroscience services and cardiac care among a host of other medical specialties.
The Northwell Medical Pavilion is located on the Upper East Side at Third Avenue between East 76th and East 77th Streets. The new facility is expected to open in the fall of 2025 and will span 200,000-square-foot, increasing access to specialty care for New Yorkers and make world-class care more accessible by bringing Northwell’s unique and wide range of top-ranked expertise areas all in one place.
While announcing the project last week, Northwell Health President and CEO Michael Dowling said “We break ground today on a new medical resource that will improve how New Yorkers access comprehensive, multidisciplinary care. The Northwell Medical Pavilion will provide our patients with the level of care they deserve, connecting them with their specialized team of medical experts all in one central location.”
The complex will provide care for numerous cancer types, including breast, gastrointestinal, colorectal, gynecologic oncology, head and neck, neurosurgery and thoracic. Surgery and inpatient care in Manhattan will continue to be provided by other Northwell hospitals, including neighboring Lenox Hill Hospital and Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital. Additional services offered in the building will include imaging and lab testing – as well as holistic wellness services, acute and chronic disease management, social work services and more. Northwell providers will use a single electronic medical record for individual patients to ensure seamless access to medical records across offices for timely decision-making.
Key program elements of the new pavilion also include:
- An innovative design that utilizes technology to create a seamless patient experience, with a living room-like lobby to ensure patient comfort.
- A world-renowned neuroscience program, offering both neurology and neurosurgery comprehensive care services
- Medical oncology, radiation oncology and surgical oncology care, including 30 infusion chairs, a CT simulator and 2 Linear Accelerators.
- Access to Northwell’s research, innovation and clinical trials conducted by the Cancer Institute.
- A cardiothoracic surgery program, which is rated one of the best in NYS for delivering superior outcomes for patients receiving cardiac surgery
- Cardiac programs, including a program dedicated to women’s heart health that offers a full range of services, from education and risk factor management to prevention, diagnosis and cutting-edge treatment technology.
- Resources and efforts to address disparities in cancer care, with programs cancers that most affect women and people of color.
- A facility that includes carbon reduction initiatives.
As an integral part of Northwell’s 21-hospital network, and New York’s largest primary and specialty care ambulatory network, the pavilion will complement Northwell’s services in Manhattan at Lenox Hill Hospital, Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital, and Lenox Health Greenwich Village. The $450 million project will be funded through a combination of philanthropy, credit and investment.