News Pedro Hernandez retrial in Etan Patz case set for September The retrial of Pedro Hernandez in the 1979 abduction and murder of Etan Patz will begin right after Labor Day, a judge ruled on Tuesday, May 24, 2016. Hernandez is shown in court on Nov. 15, 2012. Photo Credit: Steven Hirsch By Newsday Staff May 24, 2016 5:34 PM Print Share fbShare Tweet gShare Email The retrial of bodega worker Pedro Hernandez for the long-unsolved 1979 disappearance of Etan Patz will begin right after Labor Day, Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Maxwell Wiley ordered on Tuesday. The trial of Hernandez, 55, of Maple Shade, New Jersey, on charges that he kidnapped and murdered 6-year-old Etan ended in an 11-1 deadlock for conviction last year. The scheduling of a retrial was delayed by defense lawyer Harvey Fishbein’s back problems. Hernandez confessed to the crime in 2012 after police were tipped off by a relative, but the defense contends he fantasized committing the crime because of a mental disorder. He has been in custody since 2012. Wiley said jury selection for the retrial will begin on either Sept. 6 or Sept. 7. By Newsday Staff John Riley covers courts in New York City for Newsday. Share on Facebook Share on Twitter More on this topic Patz family: Vacate $2.7M judgment against pedophileThe parents of Etaz Patz say they now believe a onetime bodega worker killed their son. Patz jurors can’t visit SoHo area, judge rulesThe justice said visiting the neighborhood could improperly prejudice jurors. Hung jury in Patz case: We 'still feel invested'"I still feel invested," said one juror. Comments Comments section is temporarily on hold. Here’s why.