Police Blotter: Baby abandoned in robbery

A group of shoplifters left behind a baby in a stroller when they tried to rob a Soho convenience store this month, police said.

Police said that three people entered the Duane Reade store at 100 Broadway on Mon., Oct. 7. One of them was pushing a baby stroller with a 1-year-old child inside it. An employee of the store, 44, reported that he spotted the trio tuck merchandise into the stroller and then attempt to leave without paying for it.

At about 2:30 p.m., he said he went up to the group and tried to confront them, at which point he was assaulted. Police said that he sustained cuts to the chin and throat, but did not say whether he received medical treatment for his injuries at the scene.

Meanwhile, the shoplifters fled the scene, leaving behind both the baby stroller and the baby.

The stolen merchandise turned out to be $179 in packs of Halls mints or cough drops, $59 in packs of Wrigley’s gum, $43 worth of Dentyne gum and $15 worth of Tic Tac packs.

Police arrested two men, ages 20 and 26, and a 23-year-old woman the next day for the crime. All three were charged with robbery in the second degree and acting in a manner harmful to a child. The woman, presumably the mother, was also charged with abandonment of a child. Police did not comment further on whether the child was put into protective services. The city Administration for Children’s Services did not return a comment by press time.

No motorcycle left standing

An illegally parked motorcycle went missing, leaving its owner scrambling to find out if it was towed or stolen.

Police said that a man came to the First Precinct to report that his motorcycle had gone missing between 11 p.m. on Tues., Oct. 1 and 6 p.m. the next evening. The owner, 28, said he parked his green 2008 Kawasaki on the southwest corner of John and Nassau Sts. in Lower Manhattan. The curb where he left it was technically a “No Standing Anytime” zone on the street, he said, but it was a good spot, so he parked there anyway.

When he came back to where he had parked it at 6 p.m. on Oct. 2, the motorcycle was gone.

Furthermore, he said that the $2,500 motorbike had no license plate at all. He told police that he spent a week trying to find the bike on his own, before finally contacting them to report the disappearance. The N.Y.P.D. checked for it in the computer to see if it had been towed, but did not get a match. Police are classifying the incident as grand larceny. There was no video surveillance of the street available and an area canvass did not turn up results, according to police.

Bike stolen in B.P.C.

A bicycle locked on a Battery Park City street this week was stolen, police said. It was a $3,000 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 bicycle with a Lezyne pump attached.

The man, 32, told police that he had chained his motorcycle at 11:30 a.m. outside 102 N. End Ave. on Sun., Oct. 13, while he was at work. When he got done at 3:45 p.m., he came back out to see that both his bike and his bike lock were missing. There were no witnesses, according to the police, but surveillance footage from nearby might be available.

Phone snatched in Soho

A woman visiting from the Outback had bad luck in N.Y.C.’s concrete jungle her phone was snatched out of her hand by a cyclist.

An Australian woman reported to police that she had been dropped off by a taxi at the corner of Spring and Greenwich Sts. on Wed., Oct. 9 sometime around midnight. The woman said she walked east on Spring St. and stopped at what she thought was Avenue of the Americas to check her phone for directions. No sooner had she pulled out her iPhone 4S, than a man on a bicycle rode up behind her on the left side of the sidewalk, grabbed the phone from her hand and continued to pedal east on Spring St. The phone was valued at $600.

She returned to the area with police one hour later, but was unable to say exactly where she was ambushed due to her unfamiliarity with the area and was unable to obtain her phone’s tracking information right away because her cell service was a foreign carrier.

Subway thefts

Two women reported belongings stolen in the First Precinct portion of the subway system in the last week, according to the N.Y.P.D.

A New Jersey woman was pickpocketed during rush hour on the E train, police reported. The woman, 50, said she entered the subway system at 53rd St. and and Lexington on Fri., Oct. 11, and boarded a southbound E train at about 9 a.m.

She said she used her MetroCaard to get through the barrier and then put it back into her wallet, and tucked the wallet into her pocketbook, which was open because the zipper was broken. She told police that the car was crowded, but she did not notice anyone in particular bump into her or try to reach into her pocketbook. Nonetheless, she arrived at the World Trade Center stop, exited the train and walked to the nearby PATH entrance. When she reached into her pocketbook for her PATH card, she discovered that her wallet was no longer there.

The wallet also contained her New York State ID, credit cards, debit cards, New York State child support card and $603 in cash, she stated.

The second woman, a 34-year-old from Brooklyn, said her phone was snatched from her hand while she was sitting by the train car doors of a No, 2 train.

The woman told police that she was on her way home on a southbound train at 10:55 a.m. on Thurs., Oct. 10. She was not paying attention to the rest of the passengers because she was studying, she added. At the Park Place stop, a man, about 20 years old, grabbed the phone from her hand and fled through the train doors just before they closed, police reported.

The phone was a Samsung Galaxy S3 Android, valued at $700. A police sergeant on the scene conducted a canvass, which did not yield results.

– Kaitlyn Meade