Police Blotter, Dec. 4, 2013

Armed robber gets 27 years
The Bronx man convicted of a gun robbery of nearly $150,000 from a check-cashing store near the South Street Seaport has been sentenced to 27 years in prison, Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance announced on Nov. 25.

Ajamu White, 39, was found guilty on Nov. 7 of first degree robbery, second degree grand larceny, second degree criminal possession of a weapon, and several other felonies, the D.A. said.

Around 8:15 a.m. on Aug. 7, 2012, White walked into NYC Check Express, at 200 Water St., just as two employees were opening for the day. He pointed a gun at one employee’s head while making her unlock two doors and safe, and then handcuffed both workers, according to court documents. White then fled with the cash, and the victimized employees were able to report the crime later that day.

The robber was eventually caught a week later, while he was staying in a hotel on W. 94th St., the D.A. said. When a hotel employee came to clean White’s room, she found a loaded semi-automatic pistol hidden underneath his pillow, and quickly reported it to management and police. When he was questioned by hotel staff and later by a undercover cop posing as an employee, White claimed he was a federal law enforcement officer. He later tried to flee the scene, but was apprehended by officers from the 24th Precinct.

White was also convicted of both felony and misdemeanor charges of criminal impersonation, stemming from that second incident. In addition to the prison sentence, he will face five years of post-release supervision, the D.A. said.

Muggers on the run
Police are searching for three suspects accused of mugging a man as he was leaving his Lower East Side home on Nov. 23.

The victim, 45, was exiting an elevator in his building near the corner of Henry and Clinton Sts., around 11:15 p.m., he was grabbed from behind and choked form behind by an unknown man, police said. Police say another man and a woman then teamed up to steal items from the victim’s pockets, after which all three suspects fled the scene.

Child injured in shooting
Luis Gonzalez, 50, was arrested on Nov. 29 after police say he accidentally fired a rifle into the ceiling of a Lower East Side NYCHA residence, which left his grandson injured by falling debris.

Gonzalez, who lives upstate, was visiting relatives at the Jackson St. building in Vladeck Houses, when the gun discharged around 10:40 a.m., police said. The 4-year-old boy was struck by pieces of metal that fell from the ceiling, and was later treated at NY Presbyterian/Lower Manhattan Hospital for minor cuts.

Gonzalez was charged with endangering the welfare of a child, reckless endangerment and both assault and attempted assault.

Slick wallet snatcher
A wallet thief targeted a 56-year-old woman who had been shopping a FiDi clothing store on Nov. 27, police said.

The woman told cops she purchased items at the T.J. Maxx outlet, at 14 Wall St., around 2 p.m., and placed her wallet back into her purse before exiting the busy store. But by the time she had walked outside, she realized that the wallet — which she said contained $600 in cash — was gone. The woman  said she never saw the thief, and couldn’t provide any description for police.

One purse to go
An unfortunate woman apparently had her purse stolen on Nov. 27 after leaving it behind in a pizza shop near City Hall, police said.

The woman, 55, told cops that she walked into Rosella’s Pizzeria, at 164 William St., around 3:30 p.m. while carrying the purse and several shopping bags, and ordered a slice. She then placed all of her items on the ground while sprinkling some garlic on the slice, and quickly gathered her things and rushed out.

About half an hour later, she realized that she didn’t have her purse, but upon returning to the pizza shop to reclaim it, she found it was already gone.

— Sam Spokony