73° Good Evening
73° Good Evening

NYPD: Second suspect charged with murder in friendly fire shooting

Jagger Freeman, 25, faces charges of felony murder, two counts of first-degree robbery, second-degree robbery, assault and criminal possession of a weapon.

Detectives walk suspect Jagger Freeman out of the

Detectives walk suspect Jagger Freeman out of the 107th precinct in Queens on Saturday. Photo Credit: John Roca

A second suspect has been charged in connection with the alleged attempted robbery that led to the friendly fire death of an NYPD detective from Long Island, police said.

Jagger Freeman, 25, of Queens, faces charges of felony murder, two counts of first-degree robbery, second-degree robbery, assault and criminal possession of a weapon. Police did not know when he would be arraigned.

New York Police Commissioner James P. O'Neill told Spectrum News NY1 Saturday that it appears that Freeman "was acting as a lookout" during the alleged robbery, which occurred at a T-Mobile store in Richmond Hill Tuesday evening.

Det. Brian Simonsen, 42, of Calverton, was shot once in the chest by a responding officer and killed. His boss, Sgt. Matthew Gorman of Seaford, was shot once in the left leg.

Investigators are looking into the possibility that others will be charged, O'Neill said.

“We made a second arrest in the case from Tuesday night. We have him at the scene. Currently he’s being charged with robbery," O'Neill said. "We are looking at some other people that might have been possibly involved, but it is an ongoing investigation.”

A Brooklyn man, Christopher Ransom, has also been charged with felony murder and other offenses in connection with the alleged attempted robbery and subsequent shooting.

Police say he wielded an imitation gun in the stickup of the T-Mobile store, aiming it at responding NYPD officers — including Simonsen and Gorman — who then fired 42 shots.

Ransom was apparently trying to commit "suicide by cop," according to one of his attorneys, Ken Finkelman of the Legal Aid Society. The 27-year-old was arraigned from a bed at NewYork Presbyterian-Queens in Flushing on Friday. He was ordered held without bail and put on suicide watch.

Ransom is charged under two different murder statutes: one, felony murder, under the legal theory that Simonsen's death occurred during the commission of a felony, the robbery; and second, depraved indifference murder, under the theory that Ransom showed he had a "depraved indifference" to human life and created a grave risk of death to another person.

Ransom was shot eight times by NYPD officers and his leg may be permanently damaged, said another of his lawyers, Mihea Kim. He has faced “multiple death threats” on his Facebook page, Kim said.

O'Neill has said that the shooting will prompt a review of training procedures to “do our best to make sure this doesn’t happen again."

Gorman was released from the hospital Thursday.

Simonsen's services include a wake Monday and Tuesday, and a funeral on Wednesday. All services will be held at St. Rosalie Roman Catholic Church in Hampton Bays.


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

News photos & videos