Quantcast

Steve Buscemi recovering after being punched in random Manhattan attack

Steve Buscemi
FILE – Actor Steve Buscemi attends the premiere of “The Dead Don’t Die” at the Museum of Modern Art, June 10, 2019, in New York. Buscemi was punched in the face by a random attacker on a New York City street, Wednesday, May 8, 2024, according to police and his publicist. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File)

Actor Steve Buscemi was hospitalized last week after being punched in the face by a man on a Manhattan street, his publicist said Sunday.

The 66-year-old star of “Boardwalk Empire,” “Fargo” and “The Sopranos” was assaulted late Wednesday morning in Manhattan and taken to a nearby hospital with bruising, swelling and bleeding to his left eye. He has since been released.

“Steve Buscemi was assaulted in Mid-Town Manhattan, another victim of a random act of violence in the city,” according to a statement Sunday from his publicist. “He is ok and appreciates everyone’s well wishes.”

The assault was first reported by the New York Post.

The NYPD put out a nameless statement on the assault Wednesday. Buscemi’s representative confirmed Sunday that the unidentified assault victim in the police statement was the actor.

Police said there were no arrests and the investigation was continuing.

Buscemi — a New York native and former firefighter — played bootlegger Nucky Thompson in the Prohibition-era HBO series “Boardwalk Empire.” Coincidentally, he is the second cast member of the show to be assaulted in New York this year.

Co-star Michael Stuhlbarg, who played gambler/racketeer Arnold Rothstein, was hit in the back of the neck with a rock while walking in Manhattan’s Central Park on March 31. Stuhlbarg chased his attacker, who was taken into custody outside the park.