Sports Alex Rodriguez drops lawsuit against Yankees team doctor Alex Rodriguez watches from the sidelines during a game between the Florida State Seminoles and the Miami Hurricanes at Doak Campbell Stadium on November 2, 2013 in Tallahassee, Florida. Photo Credit: Getty/Mike Ehrmann By JIM BAUMBACH/NEWSDAY June 20, 2014 5:22 PM Print Share Share Tweet Share Email With an eye on wearing pinstripes again, Alex Rodriguez dropped his medical malpractice lawsuit against the Yankees team doctor and his affiliated hospital on Friday afternoon, his lawyer said. "He does not want to have any legal distractions in preparing and entering the new season for the New York Yankees," Rodriguez lawyer Alan Ripka said in a telephone interview. "That is the sole and only reason why this case is being discontinued." Rodriguez, who is currently serving a season-long performance-enhancing drug suspension from Major League Baseball, sued team doctor Christopher Ahmad and New York Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center last October because he said they misdiagnosed his left hip injury in 2012. The case had been moving along, with the Yankees recently having been subpoenaed by Ripka to have a team official testify at a July 1 hearing about how they compensate Ahmad for his work with their players. But that hearing is no longer necessary after Friday's decision. Ripka said A-Rod had been debating for some time whether to drop the lawsuit, which stood as the last remaining piece of his public feud with baseball last fall. "We've been considering it and thinking about in terms of his career, in terms of the Yankees, in terms of him moving forward in his life," Ripka said. "This was determined to be the best decision." Rodriguez filed two lawsuits against the league, commissioner Bud Selig and the Major League Baseball Players Association over their treatment of him last October, just as he and his lawyers were attending daily hearings before an arbitrator regarding the 211-game suspension MLB handed down last August. He dropped both of those lawsuits last February, just a few weeks after an arbitrator had withheld the majority of his suspension, sidelining him for the entire 2014 season. He largely has kept a low profile ever since. Still, the medical malpractice lawsuit against Ahmad had remained alive. But as next season grows closer, Ripka said Rodriguez didn't want it to hang over him as he prepared to return to the Yankees. Rodriguez, who turns 39 on July 27, still is owed $61 million for 2015-17 from his 10-year, $275-million contract. "Who knows what the consequences [of continuing the lawsuit] would have been?" Ripka said. "But in essence we won't have to know because we're done." A Yankees spokesman did not immediately return a message seeking comment. By JIM BAUMBACH/NEWSDAY Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Comments Comments section is temporarily on hold. Here’s why.