SportsGiants Source: Giants officials still waiting to see Jason Pierre-Paul in Miami Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul walks off the field at training camp in East Rutherford, N.J., on Aug. 7, 2014. Photo Credit: Joe Epstein By GREG LOGAN email@example.com July 7, 2015 12:05 PM Print Share fbShare Tweet Email Although the Giants' organization repeatedly has stressed that its primary concern is the "well-being" of defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, who reportedly was hospitalized for burns to both hands after a fireworks accident, club officials who arrived Monday in Miami still had not been allowed to visit the defensive end as of Tuesday night, according to a league source. Multiple media outlets have reported that Pierre-Paul suffered a severe burn to the palm and three fingers of one hand and minor injuries to the other hand, and one finger might have suffered nerve damage. But the source said the Giants have no direct knowledge of the nature and extent of the injuries. Ronnie Barnes, who is vice-president of medical services for the Giants, is believed to be heading up the delegation the club sent to see how Pierre-Paul is faring and to make sure he has whatever medical resources he requires. The club is said to be maintaining a "patient and respectful" approach while Pierre-Paul undergoes medical treatment. One thing that seems clear is that Pierre-Paul will not be the subject of a criminal investigation for the fireworks incident. There was an indication that Coral Springs police would investigate, but spokesman Brad McKeone told Newsday, "I was able to confirm the incident was not in Coral Springs, so we are done with our investigation." Broward County Sheriff's Office public information officer Dani Moschella also said that law enforcement agency "is not investigating the incident." No report of the fireworks incident or complaint about Pierre-Paul's use of fireworks was filed with either of those agencies, so there is no public record of exactly what happened or the extent of Pierre-Paul's injuries. As Newsday previously reported, negotiations between the Giants and Pierre-Paul for a long-term contract have not broken off, but given the July 15 deadline to reach such a deal, it seems unlikely. The Giants have given a franchise tender worth $14.8 million for the 2015 season to Pierre-Paul. As long as that remains in force, Pierre-Paul cannot become a free agent. If the Giants place him on the non-football injury list (NFI), they retain his rights, but they don't have to pay him. Training camp begins July 30, and the season opener is Sept. 13 in Dallas. If Pierre-Paul is not active by the opener, he is ineligible to come off the NFI list before Week 6 of the season. Pierre-Paul's agent did not respond to messages from Newsday. By GREG LOGAN firstname.lastname@example.org Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Comments We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.