SportsGiants Report: Jason Pierre-Paul lost part of right thumb Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul of the Giants warms up before a game against the Arizona Cardinals at MetLife Stadium on Sept. 14, 2014 in East Rutherford, N.J. Photo Credit: Getty Images / Ron Antonelli By TOM ROCK email@example.com @TomRock_Newsday September 15, 2015 9:03 PM Print Share fbShare Tweet gShare Email When Giants co-owner John Mara opened training camp almost two months ago wondering aloud how many fingers Jason Pierre-Paul had left, he apparently wasn't overstating his concerns. While most of the world has known for some time now that Pierre-Paul had his right index finger amputated shortly after a fireworks mishap July 4, ESPN reported Tuesday that the defensive end also lost a portion of his right thumb from the explosion. The report also said Pierre-Paul had a "procedure'' to "close up'' his right middle finger only days before he first met with the Giants medical staff on Labor Day. The wounds from that procedure were still unhealed, which was part of the reason Pierre-Paul was not signed and given clearance to play despite his belief that he is ready to do so. ESPN also reported that the entire right index finger was removed; it had not been reported previously how much of the finger, if any, was still there. The Giants got their first look at the injuries more than a week ago when Pierre-Paul came to New Jersey for his first face-to-face meeting with team officials since the accident. Before then, the team and its medical staff had no information on the extent of the injuries beyond what had been reported in the media. Team sources would not confirm the ESPN report for Newsday. "Nothing's changed,'' Tom Coughlin said last week of the team's approach to Pierre-Paul. "We've taken this path and we're on it, and we'll stay on it. Hopefully at some point in time, Jason will be ready to play.'' Pierre-Paul's chances of playing for the Giants this season seem to dwindle with each new wave of information and the fewer functioning fingers Pierre-Paul has. Some in the organization believe he will be able to heal and take the field in some capacity this season, and others are skeptical. It's become a wait-and-see approach, one the Giants are willing to take because it costs them nothing. They have not rescinded the franchise tag they placed on Pierre-Paul prior to the accident, but each week of action that he misses lowers the maximum value of the tender by $871,000. After missing Week 1, his tender is at $13.942 million, down from the original $14.813 million. That savings also is deducted from the team's salary cap each week. The Giants have no need to rescind the tag with plenty of cap space and no outlay of cash to worry about. Doing so would make Pierre-Paul a free agent. However, there is a Nov. 17 deadline for the player and team to sign a contract. If that does not happen, Pierre-Paul will not be able to play in 2015. Pierre-Paul yesterday posted a video of himself working out on Instagram. There is no clear image of his right hand, but it is unbandaged and seems slightly misshapen in the brief clip. He takes off from a three-point stance -- with his left hand on the ground -- pulling a weighted sled. "God can turn any situation around for the better," he wrote with the video. "Your hard times will lead to the best times of your life. Don't believe the hype . . . Be back soon! #90PC #ImAFighter #PutMeInCoach" By TOM ROCK firstname.lastname@example.org @TomRock_Newsday Tom Rock began covering sports for Newsday in 1996 and has been the Giants beat writer since 2008. Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Comments Comments section is temporarily on hold. Here’s why.