Oh, the intrigue.

One day after he was pushed aside as the Mets' starting first baseman, Ike Davis delivered the Mets' first walk-off win of the year, drilling a grand slam off Reds' reliever J.J. Hoover to lift the Mets to a 6-3 victory at Citi Field.

Davis watched from the bench a day after Lucas Duda blasted a pair of homers in his first official game as the starting first baseman. But in the ninth inning, when the Mets won their ever official review to preserve a rally, Davis delivered in the clutch.

With the bases loaded and nobody out, Davis homered off the facade in rightfield. At the plate, he was mobbed by his teammates.

Curtis Granderson bashed his first homer in a Mets uniform to give the Mets a 2-1 lead only for starter Dillon Gee to surrender the lead on Brandon Phillips' two-run shot in the eighth.

With the Reds up a run in the ninth, J.J. Hoover stepped as part of the closer by committee for the injured Aroldis Chapman. After walking Juan Lagares, Anthony Recker put down a bunt.

Umpires ruled that Lagares was out at second base. But the call was overturned by review. Ruben Tejada walked ahead of Davis, who ended it with his first homer of the year.

Reds starter Johnny Cueto held the Mets to just two runs over seven innings. He struck out nine.

Cueto took a no-hit bid into the fifth inning, when Ruben Tejada broke it up with a one-out double to the gap in rightcenter. In the sixth, Cueto still had a shutout intact until Granderson jumped on a cutter to give the Mets a 2-1 lead.

The towering homer was exactly what the Mets had envisioned when they lured Granderson out of the Bronx with a four-year, $60-million contract. But the Mets failed to generate anything else for Gee, who pitched into the eighth only to surrender the lead.

The Reds looked all too eager to attack Gee's seemingly unremarkable arsenal of pitches, swinging aggressively early in the count. Gee obliged -- though he dictated the terms. Only a handful of his pitches cracked the 90 mph. Only two missed their mark badly-- and they cost him dearly.

Gee's first mistake came in the fifth inning, when he left a slider spinning over the center of the plate. Ryan Ludwick pounced, lining a solo shot that hugged the leftfield line as it sailed over the fence. With one swing, the Reds took a 1-o lead.

Gee's second miscue came in the eighth as he tried to protect a 2-1 advantage. Pinch-hitter Chris Heisy led off by reaching across the plate to slap a single to rightfield. He moved to second base on a Roger Bernadina sacrifice bunt to bring up Phillips.

Gee had held him hitless on the afternoon. But when the righthander left a fastball over the plate, Phillips didn't miss it, lining a two-run shot over the fence to put the Reds up 3-2.

It was the final pitch of the game for Gee, who had been given the slack to press on into the eighth. He scattered six hits over 7 1/3 innings while allowing three runs.