SportsJets Source: Jets trying to finalize deal with backup QB Matt Flynn Quarterback Matt Flynn of the Green Bay Packers warms up prior to the NFL game against the Minnesota Vikings on Oct. 2, 2014 at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wis. Photo Credit: Getty Images / Kena Krutsinger By KIMBERLEY A. MARTIN firstname.lastname@example.org August 18, 2015 10:06 PM Print Share fbShare Tweet gShare Email FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - As of Tuesday afternoon, there was "nothing pressing'' on the veteran quarterback front, according to Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan. But by evening, the Jets were in the process of trying to finalize a deal with backup Matt Flynn, a source confirmed to Newsday. According to ESPN, which first reported the news, it's a one-year deal. Flynn, 30, has spent time with five teams, including the Packers and the Seahawks, in seven NFL seasons. The perennial backup and former seventh-round pick was released last week by the Patriots because of a nagging hamstring issue, and on Friday he took a physical for the Jets. He did not have a workout, however. The Jets made no secret about their intentions to sign an experienced quarterback in light of last week's sucker-punch incident that landed incumbent starter Geno Smith in the hospital. But when asked for a status update during Tuesday's practice, Maccagnan said: "I don't want to necessarily put a time frame on it. But it is something we're looking to do. We have the ability to do that, potentially, for the rest of training camp.'' Flynn would serve as the No. 2 quarterback behind Ryan Fitzpatrick, who was bumped up the depth chart last Tuesday after Smith's jaw was broken during a locker-room altercation with former teammate Ikemefuna Enemkpali. The expectation is that when Smith returns to action, Flynn will be cut. Coach Todd Bowles and Maccagnan are hopeful Smith will be able to be at the facility on a full-time basis very soon and attend all meetings by the end of the week. But his roster status come Week 1 is still unclear. Given Smith's 6- to 10-week recovery timeline, Maccagnan said he expects him to miss "probably the first four games." So there's a chance Smith could start the regular season on the short-term injured reserve list, meaning he would have to miss the first eight weeks of the season before he can be activated to the 53-man roster. But although that's "a possibility,'' Maccagnan said it's also unlikely. According to Bowles, Smith was at the facility Tuesday and attended the team meeting. Said Bowles: "I talked to him yesterday. I talked to him today. He's fine. He'll be back in meetings, he won't be doing anything, but he'll be back . . . Providing he's feeling better, he'll be at all the meetings.'' Smith made headlines during the weekend after he was photographed throwing a football with a friend in the parking lot of his apartment complex a day after being released from the hospital. Bowles said Smith was "able to open his mouth and everything'' during their conversations. "According to Geno, he's always fine, but you have to take precaution with that," said Bowles, adding that Smith has "another week and a half, two weeks'' before he can resume physical activity. "Anybody that is trying to get back on the field is always fine, but you can't listen to that.'' By KIMBERLEY A. MARTIN email@example.com Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Comments Comments section is temporarily on hold. Here’s why.