SportsKnicks Arron Afflalo, Derrick Williams opt out of deals with Knicks, source says Arron Afflalo #4 of the New York Knicks celebrates in the second half of a game against the Boston Celtics at Madison Square Garden on Jan. 12, 2016. Photo Credit: Getty Images / Elsa By Al Iannazzone email@example.com @Al_Iannazzone June 21, 2016 3:19 PM Print Share fbShare Tweet Email Arron Afflalo and Derrick Williams have informed the Knicks that they are opting out of their contracts, a league source said. Afflalo was set to make $8 million next season and Williams $4.6 million. These moves, which were expected, should open roughly $13 million more to use when free agency begins July 1. The Knicks could have around $35 million to spend on free agents, but that depends on other transactions. Their needs in free agency are both backcourt positions. There’s still a chance that Williams could return. He would fit well in new coach Jeff Hornacek’s up-tempo system. Williams, the No. 2 pick in the 2011 draft, averaged 9.3 points in 80 games last season. Afflalo, whom the Knicks signed last year to be their starting shooting guard, ended the season as a reserve and wasn’t happy with his role. He averaged 12.8 points. By Al Iannazzone firstname.lastname@example.org @Al_Iannazzone Al Iannazzone has been covering the Knicks and the NBA for Newsday since January 2012 after following the NBA for 11 years for The Record (N.J.). Al appeared regularly on the YES Network's Nets pregame show in 2005-11. Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Comments We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.