SportsMets Mets apparently going back to five-man rotation Manager Terry Collins of the New York Mets watches from the dugout during the MLB game against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field on June 4, 2015 in Phoenix. Photo Credit: Getty Images / Christian Petersen By MARC CARIG email@example.com June 5, 2015 10:24 PM Print Share fbShare Tweet Email PHOENIX - In the Mets' latest about-face, their much publicized plan to employ a six-man starting rotation apparently has been scrapped. Manager Terry Collins said Friday that the team will adopt a "traditional" configuration, though he didn't elaborate. Collins said it was a possibility that a starter is moved into the bullpen. The Mets easily could revert to a five-man rotation by shifting Dillon Gee or Jonathon Niese into a relief role. Whatever the Mets do next, Collins made it clear that he's tired of dealing with the six-man rotation and its potential complications. "It's a pain in the [butt], literally," he said. At the start of the season, the Mets set out to limit the innings of Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard, but without a prolonged shutdown during the season. The six-man rotation, which began Wednesday when Gee came off the DL, had been their initial answer. The Mets still could shave some innings by adopting a five-man rotation. But they would have to take advantage of off days by staying on turn instead of skipping the fifth starter. During stretches without off days a spot starter from the bullpen could take occasional turns in the rotation. Such an alignment could provide one extra off day for pitchers, but not two, perhaps the most troublesome complication of the six-man format Mets pitchers had been lukewarm about a six-man rotation, concerned their routines would be altered often. By MARC CARIG firstname.lastname@example.org Marc Carig covered the Mets for Newsday from 2012 through 2017. Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Comments We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.