SportsMets Juan Lagares placed on disabled list with sprained left thumb Juan Lagares #12 of the New York Mets celebrates his fifth inning home run against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Citi Field on Friday, May 27, 2016. Photo Credit: Jim McIsaac By Anthony Rieber firstname.lastname@example.org @therealarieber June 16, 2016 11:02 PM Print Share fbShare Tweet Email The Mets placed Juan Lagares on the 15-day disabled list just before Thursday night’s game because of the sprained left thumb he suffered making a diving catch on June 4. Infielder Ty Kelly was recalled from Las Vegas. Lagares’ injury was initially described by the team as a partial ligament tear. He tried to play through it, accumulating three at-bats in four games and even hitting a pair of doubles, but was scratched from the lineup on Wednesday. He went on the DL Thursday night after a visit to the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan. The Mets did not say if Lagares would need surgery. Terry Collins said Lagares will rest in an attempt to let the thumb heal, but surgery is still a possibility and could sideline the outfielder for two months. Kelly hit .174 in 10 games with the Mets earlier this season. Many options considered The Mets are considering myriad options to replace David Wright at third base, including moving second baseman Neil Walker to the position and promoting prospect Dilson Herrera. For now, the job is Wilmer Flores’ to lose. Flores is batting .375 (15-for-40) since Wright went on the disabled list on June 3. But he had to leave Thursday night’s game one inning after getting hit on the left hand with a pitch. X-rays were negative Flores said he can’t grip a bat, but hopes to be back in a couple of days. “In the case of Wilmer, we’ve all said his bat’s going to play,” manager Terry Collins said. “Big ceiling with the bat. Now’s his opportunity. We need that certainly to come to fruition.” As for Walker, he has played 15 games at third, but none since 2010. Still, he said he’d give it a shot if that’s what the Mets wanted. They’re not sure that’s what they want, though. “Right now, I think that’s still up in the air,” Collins said. “I applaud Neil for saying that. This guy’s been a second baseman pretty much his whole major league career. To have him say that in the year he’d becoming a free agent takes some real strength.” Herrera, 22, went into Thursday night batting .296 with 10 home runs and 36 RBIs for Triple-A Las Vegas. He hit .215 with the Mets in 49 games during the past two seasons. Leading man Curtis Granderson’s first-inning home run was his 17th leadoff home run as a Met. He had been tied with Jose Reyes for the franchise record. Labor gains? Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred, in an appearance at Citi Field along with players’ union head Tony Clark, said the sides are making progress on a new collective bargaining agreement. “We’re meeting regularly with the Players’ Association,” Manfred said. “We’re hopeful that we’ll be able to make a new agreement without any problems, disruptions or anything like that.” Apple of Mets’ eye Giants first-round pick Eli Apple threw out the ceremonial first pitch. During batting practice, he posed for photos with Steven Matz. Apple also posed for photos with the Mets’ Home Run Apple in the background. With Laura Albanese By Anthony Rieber email@example.com @therealarieber Anthony Rieber covers baseball, as well as the NFL, NBA and NHL, for the sports department. He has worked at Newsday since Aug. 31, 1998, and has been in his current position since July 5, 2004. Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Comments We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.