SportsMets Yoenis Cespedes open to contract extension with Mets Yoenis Cespedes #52 of the New York Mets looks on during a game against the Miami Marlins at Marlins Park on Aug. 3, 2015 in Miami. Photo Credit: Getty Images / Mike Ehrmann By MARC CARIG email@example.com August 4, 2015 10:30 PM Print Share fbShare Tweet gShare Email MIAMI - Yoenis Cespedes will almost certainly be a rental for the Mets. But the slugging outfielder offered a diplomatic answer when asked Tuesday about the possibility of a contract extension. "This is something that I can't control," Cespedes said through an interpreter. "I don't know what the front office is thinking about. But [from] what I see so far, I would love for everything to work out and stay with the Mets for a long, long time." After just three games in a Mets uniform, Cespedes raved about his new team's dynamic young starting pitching and the atmosphere in the clubhouse. However, putting together an extension could prove problematic for Cespedes, who was acquired from the Tigers just before Friday's trade deadline. The Mets would need to make an offer enticing enough for Cespedes to forgo testing the open market -- at a time when a power-hitting skill set is at a premium. Industry sources yesterday pegged Cespedes' potential asking price on the open market to be in the $120 million-$150 million range, depending on the length of his next contract. With the exception of David Wright's contract extension, the Mets in recent years have shown little appetite for awarding such long-term commitments. Also, if the 29-year-old Cespedes doesn't sign an extension and reaches the open market this winter, a clause in his contract essentially keeps the Mets from bidding on his services. Players typically must gain six years of major-league service time to qualify for free agency. But because of his experience in Cuba, Cespedes negotiated a clause that forces him to be released at the end of the season. Cespedes would then be free to sign elsewhere -- no different from other free agents -- even though he would have only four years of service time. If he does not sign an extension by five days after the World Series, then the Mets must release him because of the clause. That would mean the Mets could no longer sign him in the offseason because any player released after Aug. 31 cannot be re-signed by that club until May 15. Nor can the Mets make Cespedes a qualifying offer. Wright direction David Wright could be playing in rehab games in a week. Though he avoided setting a firm timeline, he participated in rigorous baseball activities, including hitting on the field. Sidelined since April with spinal stenosis, Wright was scheduled to continue similar work for five straight days before he's re-evaluated. "I'm not sure what more I can do," said Wright, who sounded encouraged by the prospect of a rehab stint. Wright will travel to the team's Florida complex Wednesday. A quick chat with Montero Terry Collins intends to spend part of Thursday's team day off talking to Rafael Montero, who has remained on the DL since April, even though doctors have found no structural issues with his shoulder. Montero initially went on the disabled list in April with inflammation in his rotator cuff. But since then, he has been locked in a familiar cycle, resuming his throwing program only to be shut down after complaints of shoulder tightness. "What this kid's got to know is we need you, so let's go," said Collins, who will soon need a sixth starter to keep the other starters within their innings limits. By MARC CARIG firstname.lastname@example.org Marc Carig covered the Mets for Newsday from 2012 through 2017. Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Comments Comments section is temporarily on hold. Here’s why.