CHICAGO - Derick Brassard scored 32 seconds into overtime as the Rangers beat the Blackhawks, 1-0, Sunday night.

Brassard took a pass from Mats Zuccarello and blasted a shot from the left circle that beat Corey Crawford short side under his right arm. It was Brassard's first goal in 15 games.

Cam Talbot made 29 saves for his fifth shutout of the season.

With their 40th win of the season, the Rangers (87 points) pulled to within a point of the first-place Islanders in the Metropolitan Division. The Rangers have three games in hand.

The Islanders visit Toronto Monday night and host the Rangers tomorrow night in the final regular-season game between the rivals at Nassau Coliseum.

The Rangers have won 40 or more games for the fourth straight full season and eighth in the last nine full seasons. They won 38 in 2009-10.

With 2:38 left in regulation, the Rangers went on their second power play of the game after Chicago was whistled for a too many men on the ice penalty. But the Rangers failed to cash in, setting up the overtime.

Scoreless after two periods, Crawford stopped Jesper Fast's one-timer just before the three-minute mark of the third. Talbot robbed Patrick Sharp on a rebound with his glove at 6:05 after the goaltender stopped a long shot from former Ranger Brad Richards.

Keith Yandle's rebound of Fast's wrister from the right side was denied by Crawford. With just about seven minutes to play in regulation, Crawford stopped Chris Kreider with an extended right pad at the post, then he stopped Derek Stepan in the crease.

Kevin Hayes set up J.T. Miller in front, but Crawford (35 saves) stopped his backhander.

Talbot's early saves and two Blueshirts penalty kills, limiting the Hawks to one shot in four minutes, helped to keep the game scoreless in the first period.

Talbot gloved Brandon Saad's two-on-one shot at 1:37 and blocked Teuvo Teravainen's slapper before Marc Staal was sent off for hooking Saad at 3:12. The Rangers' speed then began to loosen up the Hawks. Starting at 8:23, the Rangers began to take over in shots.

Carl Hagelin's wrist shot was stopped, and Dan Boyle's shot went off Crawford's shoulder, but Staal couldn't convert the rebound. With 8:17 left, Crawford stopped James Sheppard twice with his pad in front as the Rangers doubled the Hawks in shots during the first 20 minutes, 16-8.

Yandle registered one of the Rangers' nine blocked shots before Kreider was whistled for a hook of Niklas Hjalmarsson at 15:33.

In front of a crowd of 22,160 at United Center, the Blackhawks had the first five shots of the second period, and the Rangers had to kill two more power plays. The first came on a too many men on the ice call at 6:19. Ryan McDonagh and Dan Girardi excelled again. The Rangers had their chance with a man advantage when Andrew Shaw went to the box for a hook with 9:16 left. McDonagh's sizzler off Crawford's glove was the best opportunity. Yandle had a couple looks but chose to pass.

When Dom Moore went off for interference at 17:21, the Rangers had to buckle down again, and they did. But the Hawks outshot the Blueshirts 12-5 in the second period.