TORONTO - Mats Zuccarello scored his second goal of the night with 5:56 left, a wicked wrister that beat James Reimer stick side, to salvage a 5-4 win over the Maple Leafs Tuesday night and snap a two-game losing streak for the Rangers.

Rick Nash, who had three assists, found Zuccarello, who had one goal in the previous 14 games, for the game-winner. With 2:59 left, the Leafs almost tied it, but Nazem Kadri's shot hit the left post.

Reimer was pulled for an extra attacker with 1:19 left, but the Rangers (31-16-5, 67 points) survived a wild night at Air Canada Center.

In the first game of a four-game trip, the Blueshirts led 2-0, 3-1 and 4-2 but couldn't put away the Leafs, who made it 4-3 20 seconds into the third. Morgan Rielly's second goal, a wrister from between the circles, beat a shaky Cam Talbot high above his blocker.

At 6:46, Daniel Winnick tied it for the third time when his pass from the left side went off a sliding Ryan McDonagh's stick and under Talbot. It looked eerily similar to the Nov. 8 game here, when the Rangers led 4-3 in the third and lost, 5-4.

Derek Stepan had three chances on a shift halfway through the period, with one shot hitting the post. Talbot, in his shakiest game since replacing injured Henrik Lundqvist four games ago, got his glove on two rising shots shortly after but couldn't hold them.

The quicker Rangers took the lead at 2:57 of the first. Nash's pass was grabbed by Derick Brassard, who lifted a defenseman's stick and found Dan Boyle in front for his seventh goal.

The Rangers went ahead 2-0 after Cody Franson lost the puck to Reimer's right. Brassard sent it across the slot to Nash, who poked it to Zuccarello in front. His one-timer went into a wide-open net at 10:37.

The Blueshirts kept firing en route to a 17-shot period, but six seconds after Dan Girardi went to the box for boarding at 15:39, Rielly roofed a shot high glove-side off the faceoff. The Leafs almost tied it shorthanded with Roman Polak whistled for interference, but David Booth fumbled a pass in front on a two-on-one.

At 1:42 of the second, the Rangers restored the two-goal edge when Marc Staal carried the puck into the zone toward Reimer and Kevin Hayes slid in the rebound. But the Leafs answered at 2:08 when Stephane Robidas let fly what appeared to be a harmless shot from the left point that eluded Talbot, his worst muff in four games, and it was 3-2.

The Rangers scored shorthanded to make it 4-2. Nash got the puck to Staal, who fed Dom Moore, whose slapper from the top of the right circle went past Reimer's immobile glove.

It was only the third time in nine games that the Rangers scored at least four goals.

Late in the second, Talbot had his best sequence, stopping two rapid, close-in shots. After 40 minutes, the Rangers had 31 shots, the Leafs 16.

Talbot is from nearby Caledonia, Ontario, and his wife, father, sister and about a dozen other family members and friends attended.

"He played here last year and played extremely well," Alain Vigneault said before the game, referring to a 26-save performance in a 7-1 win Jan. 4, 2014.