Make that seven. Barely.

The Rangers withstood a third-period rally and held off the Washington Capitals with a 4-2 victory to extend their winning streak to seven games.

Rick Nash scored his 21st and 22nd goals of the season and Martin St. Louis scored twice on the power play after being held scoreless for seven games.

"I was fighting it a little bit. But it's a day-to-day thing," St. Louis said. "The team's playing good, we're winning games, it's a great feeling but we've done a good job of earning it. We take nothing for granted and we've been rewarded."

The win moved the Rangers (18-10-4, 40 points) into a tie for third place with Washington (17-11-6). The Capitals were on a streak, having entered the game without a loss in their last nine games (7-0-2).

Henrik Lundqvist (30 saves) was peppered with 10 shots in the first few minutes of the third period and was forced to make his best stops of the game, including one on Andre Burakowsky's rebound shot. Nash then beat Braden Holtby with a low wrister, his second goal, at 5:12 on a pass from Mats Zuccarello for a 3-0 lead.

Washington got on the board when Evgeny Kuznetsov's soft shot went off Lundqvist's right arm and in 41 seconds later.

The Capitals kept buzzing and trimmed the lead to one on a power play after Matt Hunwick went off for hooking at 9:29. Alex Ovechkin scored his 16th after he beat Lundqvist with a shot that went off the post and into the net at 10:58.

The pressure continued, with shots 15-2 in favor of the Capitals, and with 6:18 left, the dead-legged Rangers were forced to ice the puck and coach Alain Vigneault called a timeout.

"They came out and put everything they had into it," Lundqvist said of the Capitals, who outshot the Rangers 21-9 in the third.

With 5:25 left, Backstrom high-sticked Derick Brassard in the face, drawing blood. Backstrom went off for a double minor. On the next draw, Jason Chimera used his glove to move the puck in the faceoff circle and the Blueshirts had a five-on-three power play. Holtby made several stops before St. Louis batted in a rebound out of midair on the doorstep with 3:48 left to extend the Rangers' one-goal lead.

"I thought we were in control for most of the game, just in the third period they came with a push," Marc Staal said. "We weathered it pretty well, and we got one from Nasher and they kept on coming."

With the Blueshirts ahead 1-0 after the first period, Ovechkin, hounded all night, boarded Zuccarello from behind just 27 seconds into the second period, and the Rangers extended their lead at 1:03.

Brassard, with his second assist, passed to Dan Boyle, and the defenseman took a stride or two from the right point, faked a slapper and found a waiting St. Louis to the left of Holtby, and he scored on a one-timer from a sharp angle.

At 3:59, Karl Alzner slashed Chris Kreider on the hand while crossing the blue line, but the Rangers couldn't cash in with the man-advantage.

The Rangers then killed off three power plays by the Capitals, who rank second in the league. Kreider went off for tripping at 12:02, and the Rangers, led by Derek Stepan, Jesper Fast, Kevin Klein, Nash and Tanner Glass, denied that one, as well as a short one for too many men on the ice at 14:54.

Boyle and St. Louis tied up Ovechkin on a rush, not allowing a shot, and Klein decked Troy Brouwer with an open-ice hit.