32° Good Afternoon
32° Good Afternoon

Rangers beat Kings, 4-3, in Stanley Cup Final rematch

Dan Boyle of the New York Rangers celebrates

Dan Boyle of the New York Rangers celebrates his goal with teammates Derek Stepan, Martin St. Louis and Derick Brassard against the Los Angeles Kings during the first period at Staples Center on Jan. 8, 2015 in Los Angeles. Photo Credit: Getty Images / Harry How

LOS ANGELES - In a building in which the Rangers couldn't help but feel the vibes of three excruciating losses in the Stanley Cup Final seven months ago, they finally got a taste of victory with a 4-3 triumph over the Kings Thursday night.

After falling behind 2-0 less than six minutes into the game at Staples Center, the surging Rangers dazzled the Kings with speed, quickness and a potent power play, scoring four unanswered goals and taking a 4-2 lead by the end of the second period.

But it is never easy for the Rangers against the two-time Cup champs.

Justin Williams batted in his second goal of the game out of the air with 4:03 left, and the Kings had the Blueshirts on their heels. Jonathan Quick was pulled, and with 35.9 seconds left, Rick Nash went to the box for tripping Anze Kopitar. But the Rangers held on during the ensuing six-on-four.

"I'm not sure how the players are going to respond on the ice," Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said before the game, brushing aside any suggestion that this would be a rematch of the Final. "From my standpoint,'' he said, "there's nothing we can do about the past."

In the present, the Rangers (23-11-4) did respond for their fourth straight win, 12th in the last 13 games and second on this three-game California trip.

The last time the Rangers won 12 of 13 was 1973, when they took 14 of 15 from Jan. 7 to Feb. 10. During this streak, the Rangers have scored 48 goals and surrendered only 21.

The Kings, who didn't play Wednesday night while the Rangers beat the Ducks in a physical 4-1 battle, burst out of the gate and scored twice in a 1:37 span.

Ryan McDonagh fumbled the puck in mid-ice and Jeff Carter stormed down the right side. Kevin Hayes couldn't cut him off, Dan Girardi snow-angeled and Carter found Tanner Pearson at the left post for a gimme at 4:12.

The next goal was on Cam Talbot (28 saves), who was starting his eighth game of the season and the first of his career against the Kings. Williams strode into the right circle and blasted a slapper over Talbot's glove at 5:49.

On the first draw after the Kings' Mike Richards was sent to the box for interference, Nash helped get the puck to Dan Boyle, who fired a shot from the left point that deflected down off Jarret Stoll's stick and bounced past Quick at 10:27. It was the sixth game in the last seven that the Rangers had scored with the man-advantage (9-for-20).

Playing like a team possessed after the first intermission, the Rangers scored on their first two shots of the second period, 19 seconds apart, for a 3-2 lead. Kevin Klein's eighth, a slap shot through traffic, went past Quick at 2:31. Lee Stempniak won a battle behind the net, cut around the left circle, fired into another screen and gave the Rangers a 3-2 lead at 2:50.

Alex Martinez, who scored the Cup winner in double-overtime last June 13, went to the box for hooking, and the power play struck again. After setting up and getting the Kings chasing, Boyle flubbed a shot in the slot, the puck slid to St. Louis and he didn't miss at 8:17.

Defensively, the Rangers were sharp until the waning minutes. They held the Kings without a shot on goal for a 10-minute stretch in the second until Carter's with 5:26 left. In the third, the Kings didn't have a shot on Talbot in the first 6:24 and were denied on two power plays. They had only three shots on three power plays.

Top Photos & Videos