The Canucks scored on both of their attempts in the shootout, and Ryan Miller stopped Mats Zuccarello and Derek Stepan as Vancouver snapped the Rangers' four-game winning streak with a 5-4 victory at Madison Square Garden on Thursday night.

In a game where the Rangers had three one-goal leads, they could not stave off the Canucks.

Henrik Sedin scored his second goal with two minutes left in regulation to tie it at 4 after the Canucks had pulled Miller (30 saves).

Martin St. Louis and Carl Hagelin scored 21 seconds apart early in the third period as the Rangers took a 4-3 lead.

St. Louis' goal, on a rush down the right side, came 1:18 after the Canucks went up 3-2 on Sedin's tip on the power play. Hagelin's 13th was his third goal in five games.

The Rangers (34-16-6), who have 74 points, fell five points behind the Metropolitan Division-leading Islanders, who beat Nashville; they have three games in hand. The Blueshirts are tied for second place with Washington. The Rangers visit Buffalo on Friday night to play in a rescheduled game that was postponed Nov. 21 because of snow.

At 6:52 of a pond hockey-type third period, with the teams going end to end at will, Cam Talbot rescued a potential tying goal with his stick, turning to scoop the puck from behind him into his glove. The no-goal call on ice stood after a video review.

The intensity grew as the game progressed. With the score tied at 3, Alex Burrows cross-checked Chris Kreider twice at the opening faceoff of the third, and they dropped the gloves. Both received fighting majors, but Burrows received an extra two for cross-checking.

On the Rangers' third power play, Kevin Hayes went off for hooking Shawn Matthias, and the Canucks had their first power play at 2:39. Talbot stopped Jannik Hansen twice, but Sedin scored at 3:55 to give Vancouver its first lead at 3-2.

At 1:43 of the second, Talbot (24 saves), who struggled with his passes, poke-checked the puck to Mathias in front. Matthias stepped around Zuccarello, glided to his left as Talbot made a desperate dive, and lifted it over him to tie it at 1. Ryan Miller then stopped J.T. Miller twice four minutes later.

The Rangers regained the lead at the 11-minute mark when Derick Brassard sprung Rick Nash for a break-in down the left side. Nash fired a low shot under Miller's right pad for his 36th of the season. That left him five goals from his career high of 41 with the Blue Jackets in the 2003-04 season. John Moore was awarded the secondary assist, his first point since Jan. 8.

But the Canucks tied it just 2:18 later. After Ryan McDonagh came too far on a pinch for a hit, 19-year-old rookie Bo Horvat and Ronalds Kenins broke in on Talbot two-on-one and Horvat tipped in Kenins' pass.

At the 14-minute mark Zuccarello and Burrows were sent off with two minors each for slashing and high-sticking.

The first period wasn't pretty, but the Rangers came off the ice after 20 minutes with a 1-0 lead on Stepan's one-timer from 15 feet off St. Louis' pass from behind the net at 11:39. Dan Girardi, from the right wall, found St. Louis to extend his assist streak to three games.

The Canucks, who were missing three regular defensemen, had four shots on Talbot in the first 2:46 -- three by the Sedin twins -- and then just one until the buzzer. The Rangers had 14.