Steelers vs. Chiefs AFC Wild Card preview
- When: Sunday, Jan. 16, 8:15 p.m. ET
- Where: Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO
- TV: NBC
The Pittsburgh Steelers probably shouldn’t be in the playoffs and are probably going to get steamrolled by the Kansas City Chiefs.
Those aren’t my words, but the sentiments of veteran Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.
No, really, that’s what he said earlier this week.
“As a group, you understand that we probably aren’t supposed to be here,” Roethlisberger said. “We’re probably not a very good football team. Out of 14 teams, I think are in, we’re probably number 14…We don’t have a chance, so let’s just go in and have some fun.”
The 39-year-old two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback is in his swansong, having defeated the Baltimore Ravens in overtime to secure a playoff spot, and is seemingly playing with house money.
Roethlisberger is right. The Steelers are the worst of the 14-team field in virtually every major offensive and defensive statistical category.
And so they visit Kansas City to play the two-time defending AFC-champion Chiefs, who have won nine of their last 10 games entering the postseason to nab the No. 2 seed in the conference.
In each of their last five games, they’ve scored 28 points or more while quarterback Patrick Mahomes has been stellar, completing 70.6% of his passes for 1,455 yards, 12 touchdowns, and just a single interception.
At this point, it feels as though the Steelers are the lambs being led to slaughter, especially with the mindset of their supposed leader in Roethlisberger coupled with the fact that the Chiefs romped the Steelers just two weeks ago, 36-10.
Not necessarily the kind of close, tense playoff matchup the NFL was hoping for when slotting this game in its primetime slot on Sunday night.
Steelers vs. Chiefs AFC Wild Card Tale of the Tape
|No. 7 Steelers||Stat||No. 2 Chiefs|
|9-7-1 (2nd, AFC North)||Record||12-5 (1st AFC West)|
|20.2 (21st in NFL)||Points/game||28.2 (4th in NFL)|
|222.2 (15th in NFL)||Passing yards/game||281.8 (4th in NFL)|
|92.1 (29th in NFL)||Rushing yards/game||115.0 (16th in NFL)|
|23.4 (20th in NFL)||Points allowed/game||21.4 (8th in NFL)|
|215.1 (9th in NFL)||Passing yards allowed/game||251.4 (27th in NFL)|
|146.1 (32nd in NFL)||Rushing yards allowed/game||117.6 (21st in NFL)|
Steelers vs. Chiefs AFC Wild Card Players to Watch
- TJ Watt, DE, PIT: 22.5 sacks, 64 tackles, 39 QB hits, 21 tackles for loss
- Ben Roethlisberger, QB, PIT: 64.5% completion rating, 3,740 yards, 22 TD, 10 INT
- Najee Harris, RB, PIT: 307 carries, 1,200 rushing yards, 74 receptions, 467 receiving yards, 10 total TD
- Diontae Johnson, WR, PIT: 107 receptions, 1,161 yards, 8 TD
- Patrick Mahomes, QB, KC: 66.3% completion rating, 4,839 yards, 37 TD, 13 INT
- Tyreek Hill, WR, KC: 111 receptions, 1,239 yards, 9 TD
- Travis Kelce, TE, KC: 92 receptions, 1,125 yards, 9 TD
- Tyrann Mathieu: 76 tackles, 3 INT, 1.0 sack, 3 fumble recoveries
Steelers vs. Chiefs AFC Wild Card odds
- Spread: Chiefs -12.5
- Over/under: 46
- Steelers Moneyline: +460
- Chiefs Moneyline: -650
- To bet with Caesars and get $300 in bonus cash and a deposit match up to $3,000 upon sign-up, click here.
- To bet with FanDuel and make your first risk-free bet up to $1,000, click here.
- To bet with DraftKings and get a $50 free bet with your first deposit plus a bonus of $1,000, click here.
Odds courtesy of DraftKings: Click here for full odds