News Hoverboard catches fire in Crown Heights, Brooklyn: FDNY This hoverboard caught on fire in Crown Heights, Brooklyn on Tuesday. Photo Credit: FDNY via Twitter By Alison Fox email@example.com @AlisonFox Updated December 30, 2015 2:01 PM Print Share fbShare Tweet gShare Email A hoverboard caught fire in Brooklyn yesterday, bursting into flames after someone tried to charge the controversial toy, authorities said on Wednesday. The new owners of the popular Christmas gift had been charging it inside a 6th floor apartment in Crown Heights housing complex when they began to smell something burning, an FDNY spokesman said. The hoverboard then started smoking and they quickly carried it into the hallway. That’s when the two-wheeled toy caught fire just after 5 p.m., the spokesman said. recommended reading Watch Mike Tyson wipe out on his hoverboard Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames and there were no injuries. This is the second incident where a hoverboard caught fire in the city, the fire department spokesman said. One of the toys recently went up in flames on Staten Island, but details on the incident were not immediately available. By Alison Fox firstname.lastname@example.org @AlisonFox Alison covers law enforcement and breaking news. She previously worked at The Wall Street Journal, and has a master’s degree from Northwestern University and bachelor’s from the University of Wisconsin at Madison. Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Comments Comments section is temporarily on hold. Here’s why.