Group raises tsunami relief money at two fairs

Battery Park City Cares raised $500 for tsunami relief at two youth fairs over the weekend, the Tribeca Family Festival. Saturday and the B.P.C. Springfest Sunday.

Robin Forst of BPC Cares said “The kids have been great in their efforts and it was their own collectively agreed upon decision to contribute 70 percent of their funds to the bicycle program with the other 30 percent going towards the homeless association,” said Forst.

The bicycle program is B.P.C. Cares’ initiative to provide the fishermen of Sri Lanka with a mode of transport so that they can return to the waterfronts again.

“We are targeting 250 bicycles, but are right now not able to estimate the costs because we are in the process of finding a source in Sri Lanka who can sell us the bicycles at a subsidized rate so that we can save on shipping, customs, etc,” said Forst.

The group’s Youth Committee is also planning a flea market soon, to be followed by an evening event on June 8.

— Aman Singh

WWW Downtown Express