It turns out, black cats don’t find homes as easily as pets with lighter colored fur.
Old myths, dating back to the superstition stemming from Halloween that black cats are unlucky, have kept adopters away from these dark-furred felines, according to an ASPCA shelter.
Those people are seriously missing out.
Here are just six of the countless reasons why a black cat would make the perfect addition to your family.
1. Black is one of the chicest colors, so your cat will always match your outfit. Hello, perfect selfie.
2. You’ll be able to find your cat easily, especially if her favorite hiding spot is between your white throw pillows.
3. Black cats are basically the star of their own holiday. You’ll be ready for Halloween without the hassle of decorating.
4. Throw away that lint brush! A black dress will hide any loose cat hair.
5. Your luck could (possibly) improve after adopting a black cat. In Japanese and Chinese cultures, the black cat is a sign of good luck. There are even black fortune cat dolls, known as Maneki Neko, that wave their arms bringing good wishes your way.
6. You know that feeling you had when you were picked last for a group game in school? That’s how a rescued black cat must feel every time another cat finds a forever home.
Convinced? These four cats are waiting for you at the ASPCA’s adoption center at 424 East 92nd Street, and they just so happen to all sport black fur.
All solid black cats and kittens will have their adoption fees reduced to $50 from the usual $125 until Sunday, Aug. 21, to celebrate Black Cat Appreciation Day. Adopters will also go home with a free hard cat carrier.