Mayor salutes La Salle


La Salle Academy Principal Candace Hammonds, center, and students displayed a mayoral proclamation recognizing the Catholic high school’s 160 years. La Salle was started in 1848 by four De La Salle Christian brothers from France as St. Vincent’s School on Canal St. St. Vincent’s moved to Second St. and Second Ave. in 1856, and in 1887 became La Salle Academy. In 1936, the school’s current five-story building was built. Today, La Salle enrolls almost 500 boys.